Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Week 4


Plan for Assessment 3

I’ve chosen Sunday Walking Market, which is the longest walking market in Chiang Mai City (Northern Thailand) the market located right in the centre of the old city area. It is a weekly event runs from 3pm - midnight. It is a showcase of the craftsmanship.
The reason why I select this event is because, the event occurs during the timeframe and it allows me to do all the assessment requirements. Moreover Sunday Market is the best place in Chiang Mai to see genuine Thai style street entertainment such as Thai traditional dances and traditional musicians.

Week 4 – Inquiry

What do you think could be the main issues with this poorly written entertainment news story?

Robert Pattinson talks about his new film, The Rover, with Dave O’Neil 
(http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/robert-pattinson-talks-about-his-new-film-the-rover-with-dave-oneil-20140619-zs99j.html)

This is an example of how a news release should not be written, the article is written by Dave O’Neil. After reading this news release, it shows that the writer is not a professional journalist. The heading of the article is confusing and the story is all over the shop. Moreover, it seems like the story talks more about the bodyguard not Robert Pattinson.
Leading agribusiness panel to analyse rural resilience at 360 Roma 
(http://www.agforceqld.org.au/file.php?id=3367&open=yes)

This is an example of well written news release because it is clear, giving useful information and stick to the facts. Contact details of the AgForce media and communications personal are supplied.
The story includes every elements that good news releases should have; Who, What, Where, When, Why and How. All these make the story become interested.

Online Quiz Review 

Grammar: Problems and confusions 

As I mentioned before in the previous week that English is not my native language. Sometime I am still struggling with al these grammars but the more I practice the better I become. I attempted quiz twice after reading 'English for Journalists' (Wynford Hicks), the book helped me to complete the quiz a lot. The first time that i attempted the quiz i got 7/10 then 100% in the second attempted. 




3 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa,

    I enjoyed reading your blog posts for Week 4. I have some feedback on a few things I noticed that will hopefully help you before submission.
    In your first paragraph I would write 'It is a weekly event which runs" and I would also change 'why I select' to 'why I selected'.
    I completely agree with your thoughts on the Robert Pattison article, it was a mess!
    In your paragraoh about the AgForce survey, I think you might have meant 'interesting' instead of 'interested'. Also in the last paragraph I picked up an 'all' with only one 'l'.
    I hope my feedback is helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily,
      Thank you for your feedback, as English is not my native language i like when someone could correct and point out where did i make mistakes, it very helps me improving my English. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Melissa,

    First of all I would like to mention that I appreciate the design of your blog, having a navigation panel on all pages makes it very easy to navigate.

    Moving onto your blog I did notice that you've only talked about one event in your practical when we were meant to cover two. Regardless of this you have still effectively detailed the essential aspects of the event.

    Secondly, I couldn't agree more with your comments on the article. O'Neil's article was very poorly planned and presented, especially in comparison to the great Agforce article. I do recommend the use of direct quotes from these two articles though, as it would give the post a sense of credibility.

    Other than this I would recommend proof-reading as there are some minor spelling-errors.

    Hope this helps and happy blogging,
    - Sam

    ReplyDelete